Oh hey guys! Look at me posting within days and not MONTHS of my last post! Hope you're proud of me =D
Today I told 3 people about my Lap Band surgery decision....one of my best friends, a co-worker and my Sister-in-Law. Prior to today only 3 people knew, my husband, my Momma and my boss (since I'll need to be late to work next week for my Dietitian and Psych Eval appointments). I must say that it has been very difficult telling people. It's really weird because usually I am an open book and tell everyone everything, maybe even too much. But this is a bit more difficult. I guess I am really worried about what people will think. To me, I feel like it is me admitting failure or laziness. I feel like people will think "why are you doing something so extreme? Why don't you just try sticking to a diet for more than a day?" Most people just don't get it. And I do not expect them to. Unless you are morbidly obese with over 100 lbs to lose, it hard to understand. Luckily my SIL was amazingly supportive and excited for me. She was cautious and concerned and asked a ton of awesome questions. She was super impressed that I had an educated response to every one of her questions. I definitely have done my research people! She told me she was proud of me for making this huge (and not easy) decision and for really understanding fully what I am doing. I'm proud of me too. I've really enjoyed all the research I've done and learning from so many lap-banders what this journey will entail. That is why I am doing this blog. I hope that someday others will read this blog and learn more about this surgery and all that goes into it.
So far, I have gone to a 4 hour weight-loss surgery seminar given by the bariatric surgery practice that I will be having the procedure done at. I have also met with my surgeon for a personal consultation. Luckily I really like him, and do not have to interview more surgeons. He knows his stuff, and the practice is a Center of Excellence (for those looking for a surgeon/practice, this is a MUST) and the top rated bariatric center in Illinois. I feel 100% confident that I will be in experienced and talented hands. For anyone in the Chicagoland area, I highly recommend the Suburban Surgery Care Center (aka Kane Center) for your surgery. They also perform Sleeve, Gastric Bypass and Duodenal Switch procedures. I love that they don't push any particular surgery on you and really work with you to determine the best procedure for your individual needs.
My next step is an appointment with their staff Dietitian as well as the psychiatric evaluation. Both of these visits are required by the practice as well as by my insurance company (Blue Cross Blue Shield). I'm excited for both appointments to learn more about what to expect pre-op and post-op, as well as beginning to learn how to deal with not only the physical outcomes of this surgery, but also the mental and emotional ones. Those appointments are next week Tuesday and Thursday. I will be sure to post after each! After those appointments, they will submit my request for surgery to my insurance company for approval. I really hope the approval process goes easy. I have heard horror stories of insurance companies denying people and making them jump through hoops for approvals. Luckily I have also heard that BCBSIL is one of the easiest insurance companies to get approval from. Most usually get approval in days. Here's hoping that is the case for me!
Well that's all for now. I'll keep you all (whoever you all are, even if it is just an internet void so far) posted as the days progress!
Laterz!!!
Me and my lovely, wonderful, supportive and encouraging Sister-in-Law <3

No comments:
Post a Comment